Back to PROPGODS.COM...

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Suzuki DF50A & Triumph 17'CC Options
cgg
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 4:52:29 PM
Groups: Member

I have a 2012 Suzuki DF50A on a 2012 Triumph 170CC that I bought new this past winter. I have about 30 hrs on the engine now after breaking it in according to Suzuki directions. The 20 hr oil change and service has been done. At full throttle in calm conditions I only get 5100 rpms while the factory specs say my operating range should be up to 6000 rpms. Speed, according to my Garmin GPS/Chart Plotter is 25 knots. This is with approx. 15 gals of fuel, me at 190 lbs behind the helm, and my gear--maybe 70 lbs in front of the console. A friend thinks the boat may be "over-propped" and have too much pitch. Another friend suggested trimming the engine up some when I am running wide open. He says this will boost rpms. But won't it also raise the bow? I already feel a little light in the bow and am not sure I want it up any more. The propeller is a Suzuki 11 1/4" dia x 15 pitch 3-blade factory aluminum model. The engine has 2.27:1 gear ratio and the slip calculator came in at 12% when I used 28 mph in place of 25 knots. Will a different, lower pitch prop help me gain rpms and get me closer to the optimum 6000 rpms when wide open? I'm not really concerned about speed--around 30 mph is fine with me--I just want the engine to run as efficiently as possible (and have a long life). I'm new to boating and the subject of props is a little confusing. Thanks for any help.
Ken2
Posted: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 5:38:13 AM
Groups: Administration

Before changing props, try trimming the motor more.

Both at cruise and wide open you have to trim the motor for optimal performance. it will save you a lot in fuel, and the boat will likely drive easier.

Get up to about 18-20 KTS. leave the throttle where it is.
Trim the motor up for about a second. Let the boat react. trim a little more. let the boat react. and keep going until you find the fastest speed at that throttle setting.
At some point, you'll gain RPM but loose speed. or the boat will start porpoising.

When you find your fastest speed at that throttle setting, that will be your best economy, and a good start for where that engine wants to be trimmed.

At wide open, it may want a little more trim. Test it the same way.

See what that does for you, and from your results, we may have you adjusting engine height on the transom, or a different prop, or both.

Hey guys,
This forum is up so we can search it for performance numbers and info, but other then that its inactive.
I am on BandofBoaters.com check their website and I will be in the (Performance and Handling) section.
cgg
Posted: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 3:48:55 AM

I will try that and get back to you. It won't be until next week though. July 4th week is a circus here! I'll get the boat out next Mon or Tues. Thanks very much for your advice.
Ken2
Posted: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 4:32:18 PM

oh yes, the Circus has begun for sure !

Hey guys,
This forum is up so we can search it for performance numbers and info, but other then that its inactive.
I am on BandofBoaters.com check their website and I will be in the (Performance and Handling) section.
cgg
Posted: Monday, July 7, 2014 6:24:45 PM

Ok, Ken. I got the boat out today. The wind was cranking out of the SW, but I got in enough of a lee that I could run wide open on a light chop and try trimming the motor up. At full throttle I trimmed up and was able to hit 5500 to 5600 rpms and 31.5 mph for half a dozen "runs." If I tried to trim up more it "came out," so to speak, and my rpms went up but speed fell off. I'd love to try a 14 pitch and see what happens. This is all new to me and very interesting. Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions.
Ken2
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 5:52:00 AM

A suzuki 14 would probably do pretty well.
If that was with a light load and you normally load heavier, you might even want to go with a 13

Either way, If you stay with aluminum, I'd buy a stock Suzuki aluminum 14 pitch. "or 13 if you load heavy"

If you want to go stainless, it will be more expensive, and the style of the prop is going to change a little.
I'd probably go with a 13 pitch, depending on the style of stainless prop you would go with.
The Powertech SRD3 in 13 or 14. is what I'd go with.
It cost $279 and if you get one and decide you want a different pitch or style, you can swap out for $35 plus shipping.

Hey guys,